Thursday, April 1, 2010

The little ironies of life

This morning’s newspaper sparked off the idea for this piece. The city’s leading divorce lawyer has given a two page interview on how to keep a marriage together. Seriously, how ironical is that? The day I have to take marriage tips from a person who has made her name and money getting people separated, I will have seen it all.

Life is full of such ironies. Here are some I encounter fairly often, like..

Food, Fitness, Shopping

When I am sitting at Mcdonalds with a happy meal and a crying kid for company;

When I am sitting at a fancy restaurant and discussing diets with fat friend, thin friend and a full plate of French fries for company

When I am told to run a mile a day on the treadmill to get fit; and realise that I need to first get fit to be able to run a mile on that treadmill.

When I read an article that says shopping is therapeutic; and learn the hard way that what fits me makes me look 15 years older and what I think will make me look young and sexy never fits me. My conclusion – shopping is depressing. I need therapy post shopping.

When my own research tells me that the best remedy for post shopping blues is a box of chocolates (the gooeier the better); while being fully aware that the more of those I have, the lesser my chances of finding something I can fit into on my next shopping trip.

Life in the city

When I am sitting in the comfort of my Mumbai home, cursing IPL and its inventors and hysterically supporting Chennai Super Kings in their match against Mumbai Indians.

When I am caught in a traffic pile up on the 6 lane high speed Mumbai-Pune expressway;

When I see an under 12 who has never set foot inside a school selling children’s books at a traffic signal.

When I see that billboard painter suspended precariously 100 ft above the ground, creating magic with his brush, but will never be able to read or understand a word of it himself.

And finally the biggest irony of them all :

When it dawns on me that I slogged my entire student life to make a decent life for myself; and that life today is to slog twice as hard so that my kids can make a life for themselves.

Would love to hear about the little ironies in your lives too, people.

3 comments:

  1. beautiful.more we look around , more paradoxes we find.
    amma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot agree more with your last irony. The irony of the Billboard painter ..awesome, though on a positive note I think he will be able to understand what he has created,remember pictures speak a thousand words,but I am touched by your empathy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks anonymous. yes, pics do convey what words cant. also, thankfully not too many billboard painters today. we live in the day and age of vinyl posters!

    ReplyDelete